Hello Family, Friends, Community Members, and Leaders,
I am Dr. Carmen Johnson, during this critical legislative session in Maryland, we authored a significant piece of legislation, SB0036, and its corresponding bill, HB0565, titled “Maryland Deaths in Custody Oversight Board.” This pivotal bill is designed to establish an Oversight Board that will introduce a new era of transparency and accountability regarding the unfortunate deaths occurring within Maryland’s correctional facilities. Its purpose is to actively reduce the alarming number of fatalities that persist within our prisons, jails, and detention centers. To streamline the process for your consideration, we have taken the initiative to provide you with the following attachments:
1. HB0565 legislation
2. SB0036 legislation
3. In custody deaths report for 10 counties in Maryland jails/prisons – Helping Ourselves to Transform is a contributor of the report
4. In custody deaths report from the American Bar Association with Carmen is a contributor on page 4
5. 1 pager explaining the legislation HB565/SB36
7. A pre-written letter you can make your own or sign your name to it and email it back to us
8. Here is Google doc to enter your information in and the system will create your letter for you and it will be sent to the Civil Rights Corp and uploaded to the Senators and the Delegateshttps://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5sfSs9dlRL40Cx1ajt9IhGIuDqKdTXK_ogloRq53RUH6iNQ/viewform
Please add this post /language to your Social media page(s)
9. Please support SB0036/HB0565, a bill in the MD legislature that would promote transparency and accountability around in-custody deaths in Maryland and will be debated in committee in the Senate next Tuesday. All you have to do is fill out some information via the Google form linked below BEFORE noon on Tuesday, February 6th, and I’ll make sure it gets submitted! Thank you, and please spread the word!
Please let us know also if you are able to give a testimony in person at the senate on 2-7-2024 at 2:00pm. We do not have a date yet for the House of Delegates.